Sunday 26 May 2013

Morning

I'm not going to say this in a large font, because when I shot my typeface off about it last time my daughter launched into another bout of sleepless nights. So, lean in closer, squint a bit if necessary, and I'll tell you that lately she's been much more settled and has had a couple of weeks of quality slumber.

Each day, when I've gone into her room to pull the curtains open, I've been having a little sing-song, treating her to a burst of that jaunty little song from Singin' In The Rain:

"Good mornin', good morning, 
I've slept the whole night through, 
Good mornin', good mornin' to you!"

After a couple of days, she started to join in, and then yesterday she quizzed me about which pop star sang it. I told her it was from a famous old musical, and realising I had a DVD of it somewhere, told her we could watch it together later.

The screening began. All was going well, and she was enjoying the fabulous singing and dancing, and then we got to the bit with Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, and Debbie Reynolds in the kitchen, about to launch into our what has become our daily musical reveille.

"Here it comes - our song! This is it!" I said, grinning. But the smile didn't stay on my face too long. It began to slide, like a melting mudpack, as I listened to the actual lyrics...

"Good mornin', good mornin', 
We've talked the whole night through,
Good mornin', good mornin' to you.
Good mornin', good mornin', 
It's great to stay up late,
Good mornin' good mornin' to you."

I looked at my daughter as I realised the song I'd been singing to her about having a good night's sleep was actually about the complete opposite: staying up all night. Had she noticed?

I turned my head and she looked at me and raised her left eyebrow, in what can only be described as a withering manner.

"You changed the words, Mum, didn't you?"

Video is Good Mornin', from Singin' In The Rain

Related posts: 
Anchored
Shakes

No comments:

Post a Comment