Saturday 25 August 2012

Fifty

Fifty years ago today my Mum & Dad got married.

The black and white photos of the big day show an impossibly young-looking Dad with a kind of pudding bowl quiff hairdo, the legacy of national service. Mum looks film star glamorous. Dad is gazing at her with complete adoration. He hasn’t stopped looking at her like that ever since.

They’re having a party today, along with almost all of the people I love most in this world, including their three children, eight grand-children, and one great-grandchild.

I’ve got to make a little speech. I’ve not worked out exactly what I’ll be saying yet, although I know I’ll be mentioning  how Dad fought off a battalion of other suitors, including Alan Bentley, who jived with Mum in the school cellars, and Darcy Smart, who took her up to Goodwood (which, believe it or not, is not a euphemism).

But I’m not remotely nervous. Because in the end, after a few silly jokes and maybe one rude one to shock the elderly aunties in the room, the message I’ll have is a simple one: “Ain’t love grand.”

Everyone there loves them to bits. Everyone knows how kind, generous, funny and thoughtful they are. Everyone knows how much they adore eachother.

My lovely, loved-up, golden Mum & Dad.


Video is The Beach Boys - Then I Kissed Her


Video is Silver Sun - Golden Skin


No comments:

Post a Comment