Monday 2 July 2012

Blast

My mother-in-law likes a bit of classical music. Quite what she thought when her son grew long hair and got into Mötorhead, I'm not sure.

It was her birthday, and we'd bought her a DVD of a performance of Verdi's Requiem. We put it on, deciding to give our new surround-sound speakers a bit of a blast. The volume was turned up to 'rattle the windows' level, and the sounds of the double choir and orchestra swelled around the room. It sounded immense.

The door was flung open. My daughter marched in.

"Grandma! Have you any idea how loud that music is? Turn that down!"

And with that, my teenager left the room, tutting loudly and shaking her head at the irresponsible thoughtlessness of an 82-year-old woman.




Video is Verdi - Dies Irae (from Requiem)

1 comment:

  1. Priceless. As was the time my friend Steve was playing The Clash in his bedroom circa 1977 when, uninvited, his father burst into the room: 'I'll give you a bloody White Riot, turn that racket down.'

    ReplyDelete